Austin Radiological Association is Added to the Image Wisely Honor Roll
On September 26th 2012, ARA was added to the Image Wisely Honor Roll. We have taken the pledge to “Image Wisely” for agreeing to optimize the use of radiation in imaging adult patients and thereby pledging:
- To put my patients’ safety, health and welfare first by optimizing imaging examination to use only the radiation necessary to produce diagnostic quality images;
- To convey the principles of the Image Wisely™ campaign to the imaging team in order to ensure that my facility optimizes its use of radiation when imaging patients;
- To communicate optimal patient imaging strategies to referring physicians and to be available for consultation; and
- To routinely review imaging protocols to ensure that the least radiation necessary to acquire a diagnostic quality image is used for each examination.
Radiation and You – What is the risk?
Austin Radiological Association wants you to be informed about the risks of exposure, the steps our practice takes to ensure these risks are limited, what you can do to help, and where you can go for further information.
In the field of radiation protection, it is commonly assumed that the risk for adverse health effects from cancer is proportional to the amount of radiation dose absorbed and the amount of dose depends on the type of exam. To learn more about some common imaging modalities, the radiation risk associated with each, and an example of comparable risk, read our document Radiation and You.
- Learn more about how Austin Radiological Association takes steps to limit your radiation exposure.
- Click here for a list of resources for more information on radiation safety.
Our practice participates in the Alliance for Radiation Safety in Pediatric Imaging and the “Image Gently” campaign to lower radiation dose in the imaging of children.